Friday, January 2, 2009

Year End Lists: It's Like an Advent Calendar...But Without Chocolate and a Few Days Late

The new year is here and we are all looking forward to a musically productive and provocative '09. That being said, here at 2DOS we don't like our superior opinions getting lost in the end of the year clusterfuck. So starting now, we'll be revealing one record per day from each of our Top Ten Albums of 2008 lists. And don't worry. We know you're sick of these lists, but trust us; Lil' Wayne is NOT going to be mentioned. And as always, let us know what you think in the comments!

Ben's pick:
10. Baby Elephant - Turn My Teeth Up!
Turn My Teeth Up
shows that he knows how to bring Worrell’s experimentation into a cohesive work of funk-pop-soul-jazz-rock. The record is rounded out by guest vocals from David Byrne, Reggie Watts and George Clinton, among others. This is the album I was hoping Gnarls Barkley would release this year.

Isabelle's pick:
10. Mariah Carey - E=MC²
God is she my favorite crazy. I will hang out in her Hello Kitty themed room any day of the week if it means she cranks out more bouncy R&B gems like "I'm That Chick" and "Touch My Body." Yes, it's not as epic as The Emancipation of Mimi, but it is pure pop greatness, from the Queen of Pop Greatness. The "Mine Again" of the album is the James Poyser produced "I Wish You Well," which makes me cry, further proving that just like Mariah, I am forever a 12 year-old girl. Also, props to Mimi for having the balls to name her record after the mass-energy equivalence formula, because we all know she can barely add.

No comments: